Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sunset on the 4th and Sam, Born on the 4th of July









I finished Sam, a comission, just yesterday and wanted to share the beautiful sunset. Sam's a big fellow at 13 1/4 inchestall and 17 inches long. His tail and wing feathers were hand-embroidered. They were painted with heat set dyes to give them a subtle purple and green cast. His legs are a bit thin and it took a bit of work to get him to stand on his own. He probably would be best supported to help him to stand. I can imagine him on a stack of books. I've also included an old skeleton key that my husband & I found while out hiking in the desert. There on the ground among the creosote bushes was a whole key ring full of skeleton keys. It's strange what you can find sometimes.

5 comments:

Helen Priem said... [Reply]

You are sure keeping me in suspense!
I can't see the photo :-(

Helen Priem said... [Reply]

p.s. you've won the cow :-)

Robin Andreae said... [Reply]

Hi Helen, I just noticed that I can't see the pictures either. So I reloaded them to the post.
I can't believe I won your beautiful painting! You are so very talented, Helen!

Helen Priem said... [Reply]

Wow Robin, this must have been a * of a job ! He looks perfect with the embroidered wings, the loose feathers around his neck, wow.
I'm working on a raven off and on for a couple of weeks now but I find it very difficult because of the black wool.It keeps on looking dull.

Gail Burton said... [Reply]

Wow! He's gorgeous Robin! We have a lot of these birds around here although I'm not sure if they're Ravens or crows? I do know we have a lot of Jackdaws and I love them all! Beautiful work as always.

Gail x